Home » Research Proposal

Research Proposal

In recent years, there has been a massive shift towards vegan and vegetarian diets. Many people argue whether meat is necessary for a nutritious and balanced diet. While many people claim to reap the benefits of a meatless diet, I am interested in showing the health risk involved if not done correctly. My approach is to research the negative effects of vegan diets. I would like to shed light on these harmful side effects in order to help prevent them from changing their diets in the wrong way. My plan is to display the various nutritional insufficiencies that can be a result of this diets.

I used the CCNY library databases to look for different sources that can help me to support how vegans can impact people’s health. I am currently locating new sources from different databases such as, Pubmed, Sciencedirect and Oxford Reference. I am searching the cons of harmful effects of veganism, and also finding the different kinds of nutritional insufficiencies. I will use the APA style to write my research paper and I decided what model I will use in this paper, which is a position paper. Right now,  I am considering to support my argument which is, “if veganism and vegetarianism is done wrong, the health effects can be dangerous.” I am taking this argument to look for different sources that can support my main point of my paper.

There are many people that want to become vegan just because they want, even though they do not have a proper dietary plan. In this case, my plan of action for this paper is to find what a good nutritional diets looks like and compare it to a vegan diet. I also want to research some supplements that people can take. There are many vegans that take unnecessary supplements or they do not know what supplements to take. I will spend one day to look for more sources about the proper diet that a vegan can follow. Another day, to read my articles and other day to write downs my thought and create a plan about what I will write in my paper on. When I write my first draft I will go to the tutoring center and get feedback of my paper as well as, go to office hours as much as possible.

Annotated Bibliography

Craig, W. J. (2009, May). Health effects of vegan diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 89(5), 1627S+. Retrieved from https://link-galegroup-com.ccny-proxy1.libr.ccny.cuny.edu/apps/doc/A199538199/AONE?u=cuny_ccny&sid=AONE&xid=b566c383

This article, written by Winston Craig discusses how vegetarian diets have gained popularity in our population. There are many vegetarians that would like to take the extra step and become vegan. In this article the author tries to examine how a vegan diet is different from a vegetarian diet. Having a vegetarian diet will have good health benefits because people will receive fiber, folic, acid, vitamin C and E, potassium, magnesium and phytochemia from their diet. Although, in the vegan diet they will receive the same nutrients, there are many people that do not take those nutrients from their supplements. People that have a vegan diet will prevent many diseases such as, cardiovascular and cancer. However, by eliminating animal product, will increase the risk of bone fracture if they do not take the appropriate supplements.  

I feel like this source is helpful because it shows the different health effects that veganism can have. When I was leaning about the vegan diet, I thought that they did not take supplements to replace all the nutrients that a food can have. By reading this article, I understood the supplements that a vegan should take, and how having a vegan diet can prevent many diseases such as, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and bone health if they take the proper supplement. I plan to use this source as a background source because with this source I can introduce the health effects of a vegan diet. This article is reliable because it has a citation source. I can use the citation sources as a guide to look for different articles that can support my claim or disapprove it. This article is very easy to follow and comprehensible, which make it easy for me to understand the main idea of this paper and use it effectively in my research paper.  Lastly, I can trust this source because it is from an expert professor who works at the department of nutritional and wellness at Andrews University.

Pilis, W., Stec, K., Zych, M., & Pilis, A. (2014). Health benefits and risk associated with adopting a vegetarian diet. Retrieved April 15, 2019, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24964573

This article, written by Wieslaw Pilis, discusses the benefits and risks that people can face when they are adopting a vegetarian diet. There are a greater amount of people that want to adopt a vegetarian diet for many reasons such as, ethical, economic, religious or health problems. Whatever the reason, their diet can have an impact on their body. It can be positive or negative. If people adopt a vegetarian diet without a concern of their doctors or without doing a little of research, they can have protein deficiency, anemia and menstrual disruption in women.

This source will contribute to my paper by supporting my claim about how an inappropriate diet can have several risks on people health. This paper have an easy format to follow. This paper is separated into different sections which are defined by the benefits and risks. This article is easy to read, which makes it understable for me when I try to write my research paper. By reading through this article I find that this source is also credible because it is supported by different studies, and it has a solid citation.